Technology trends nowadays are becoming harder to follow, but they all follow a simple pattern: they become smaller, and more sophisticated. This allows us to fulfill various tasks quicker and help make our lives extremely easier. However, scientists and experts are still trying to work their way to make these devices more durable, which means like any other electronics, our devices are still fragile when wet. So, what should you do if you drop your device in water? Here are some of our handy tips.
Assess the Damage
When you get yourself in the unfortunate scenario of getting your device or phone dropped in water, the best approach is to immediately get your device out of the water source. The earlier you do this, the higher the chances that your phone won’t be damaged in the long haul. The next best thing after this is to make sure you gently wipe the rest of the device with the cloth. You have to check if there’s any noticeable damage first to your device’s external parts – like if there are parts that were bloated or broken, especially if it hit a surface before getting in the water source, such as the side of a pool or a bathtub.
- Without tinkering with the inner electronics, assess how much water is in the phone. Is it on the screen? Did some enter the phone itself?
- Check if the phone still works after you wipe the water gently with a dry cloth.
Bring in for Maintenance Immediately
If you don’t think your device suffered any significant damage, you ought to check if there’s any maintenance center near you that you can bring your device to for immediate repairs. There are a lot of do-it-yourself treatments when dealing with your devices online, but they are not always effective for all devices, even if they’re the same model. If you have the opportunity to bring your device to a maintenance provider, then you ought to do it immediately.
- If possible, try to bring your phone for maintenance immediately to the nearest service store.
- Don’t try to tinker with the insides of your phone as sometimes winging it with do-it-yourself tactics can harm the phone more.
Protection is Handy
If by any chance your device isn’t broken, try to purchase protection for your phone such as sleeves, tempered glass, and even protective cases. These are extremely useful in helping you make sure that your device or phone is adequately protected not only from the immediate water source (especially if you encounter it often), but from other water sources in the future as well. Investing in protection is much more helpful than when you have to spend potentially more for repairs or replacing the device.
- If you’re still lucky you haven’t had the opportunity to deal with this situation, try saving up for protective sleeves or cases.
- Cases with waterproofing can be helpful especially if you want an extra layer of protection for your phone.
- Don’t completely rely on the waterproofing case, however, as it’s not a one-stop solution.
Knowledge is Key
When you have the time, always try to know your device inside and out. Not all devices have the same features, even if it’s the same model or the same kind, as other devices are shipped with certain qualities or perks. Knowing these beforehand can help you prepare to avoid dangerous situations involving water.
- Try to assess your device beforehand as to what sort of special features it has, especially related to hardware.
- Is your device to some measure water proof? If so, you should clarify with the manufacturer the level of waterproofing it has so you know what to do should these situations happen next time.
Technology grows more sophisticated every day, but they’re not always the sturdiest of devices. We save up and buy expensive devices primarily because of their features, but we also take extra care when we handle these products. Unfortunately, sometimes we slip up and end up damaging our devices. The above key BuzzTech tips on what to do if you drop your device in water can help you provide first aid to your device before you decide on sending it for experts to examine.
Rhett is the owner of BuzzTech. A leading specialist inKey Tips On What To Do If You Drop Your Device In Water phone and tablet repairs in Victoria. With 3 stores and more on the way, the team at Buzztech offers on the spot repairs in 5-15 minutes. With their HQ in Geelong Victoria, Rhett is opening more stores all around Regional Victoria and is dedicated to delivering the best repair service in his industry.